Sunday, June 23, 2013

Full Circle

I had to sneak in one more post this week...I don' think Professor Talbott could have drawn this up any better.

Sunday I was researching for my Twitter as a Brand Building tool.  I was trying to determine the market share of Trek bicycles in the bicycle and cycling market.  My research took me to bicycleretailer.com where I found some commentary on the 2011 Brand Representation in Bike Shops.  Trek had the largest single market share in 2011 with 22.5%.   However, the "Other" category, the combination of a number of smaller, niche brands, combined to make up 31.5% of the market.  I immediately thought of the Long Tail, a topic I just learned and commented about 2 days earlier.  Not only that, the author of the commentary sums up the 2011 report saying, "What does all this mean for the bike-buying consumer, or the bike-selling retailer...it is a classic representation of the Long Tail Effect."

I think my learning this week has come full circle.

No comments:

Post a Comment