Friday, June 28, 2013

20x200


I was intrigued after watching Jen Bekman explain the vision she had when she started 20x200;  “Art for Everyone” sounded like an interesting idea.  I have a number of walls that could use some interesting art, so I decided to check out 20x200.

Unfortunately, the website is taking stock and making updates.  Apparently the website went offline on January 31 and the entire staff of 18 no longer work there.  From what I could gather from a bit of searching, "printers and artists were consistently paid late and communication among different branches of the business had become difficult."  Board directors resigned in late January and despite statements from Bekman that she is  “100 percent focused” on finding a solution, the site is still down.
 
I perused the reader comments section at a few of the sites I found that told the story of 20x200's demise, and a number of posters voiced their sadness about 20x200's demise.  Lots of posters mentioned other similar sites that they liked, www.artanddecors.com and www.eyebuyart.com to name just two.
 
 
I personally thin think the online are industry will remain mildly successful.  I think there is a market for the budget conscious are connoisseur, but the hurdle of only seeing the artwork on a computer screen seems to be a major roadblock.  Perhaps a model like Warby Parker would work???

No comments:

Post a Comment